Pages

Friday, November 21, 2014

Shingles 2014



About 3 weeks ago, I was diagnosed with Shingles.  They were all over the right side of my face and I became a recluse.  The only time I ventured out was to pickup my drugs prescribed by my doctors.  The blisters on my face have all but disappeared....The ones under my hair seem to be leaving slower, but definitely going.
The worst is the headaches on the right side and the right eye.  That seems to be leaving the slowest of all.   But I am grateful that my face isn't covered with them, anymore...that was the worst of all.
When I was in Walgreen's picking up my drugs, the Pharmacist had some "encouraging" words to say to me about how to take the drugs and when to take them. However.......It was a bit of an embarrassment to me when he asked this one elderly lady at the counter if she was the one with Shingles, and she kept saying "What"?....  I think she thought she was being diagnosed by the Pharmacist!  I finally stepped up to the counter and said that I was the one with Shingles (by this time, all eyes were on the Pharmacist and those that were in a close proximity quickly moved away).....I am not certain, but I thought I heard an announcement over the loud speaker about a Toxic spill  in the Pharmacy area and to evacuate immediately!
After all the screaming and yelling, pushing and shoving, things calmed down quite a bit and the Pharmacist explained all the things he needed to explain to me....except it was hard to hear him because with everyone gone there seemed to be quite the echo in the Pharmacy, but I was ready to leave as soon as possible and get home, so I just nodded  and said "OK.." to make sure he didn't feel the need to repeat anything.  He was very kind to stay and tell me all this as it may have been easier to email me or call me on the phone.  I told him that, but he simply smiled and said that "it is his job".
As I walked down the empty aisles, I turned to wave good-bye to the Pharmacist, but he was busy taking off his Hazmat Suit and was getting out the "Disinfectant Spray" for the area.  The empty aisles were free of people and store clerks.....I hurried out to the parking lot as I was unnerved and somewhat uncomfortable. 
Outside there were no cars or people walking, and I saw some Tumbleweed blow across Winnetka Ave.....the word "Desolation" came to mind....I hurried home to my apartment complex and was grateful to get home. 
Shortly thereafter, I saw people begin to continue walking and the cars were back out on the road.   I haven't been out since......But maybe tonight.... at the French Fried place....
At least I don't look sick....  just a headache!
Wish me luck!

Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment